Every year, hundreds of volunteers with diverse backgrounds help the American Museum of Natural History meet its mission and goals. Find out how you can participate!
"I've been a volunteer at the Museum of Natural History for more than 10 years, and each year it gets more interesting and rewarding."
—Linda Scalbom, Tour Guide and behind-the-scenes-volunteer
Honoring our Volunteers
Every year, Museum volunteers are recognized for their efforts at a special reception. In 2020, many volunteers reached years-of-service milestones or were chosen by their supervisors to be recognized for their exceptional service. Although we were not able to gather in 2020, we would like to acknowledge these volunteers for their contributions and dedication.
- The minimum age is 16; there is no upper limit.
- You must provide a regular commitment of time, ranging from one-half day to several days per week, for at least one year (although longer commitments are sometimes required for certain positions).
- All applicants must complete our online application. Once you have completed the application, you may also contact us directly regarding specific openings listed below.
Butterfly Conservatory Explainers
The Butterfly Conservatory is looking for explainers to assist in the Davis Family Butterfly Vivarium which is located in the new Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation. Interested applicants should be outgoing, scientifically minded, and kid friendly. The position involves answering visitor questions about basic butterfly biology, ensuring visitors follow the exhibit protocols and helping guests enjoy their visit to the vivarium.
Volunteers are needed for the following shifts:
10-11:30am│ 11:30-1pm │ 1-2:30pm │ 2:30– 4:00pm │4-5:30pm
If interested in the opportunity above, please contact Nicole Winns at [email protected].
Information Desk Volunteers
Information Desk Volunteers are needed to staff information desks throughout the Museum and in the new Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation. The ideal candidate is approachable, friendly, adept at giving directions, and enjoys interacting with people from all backgrounds.
Information Desk Volunteers:
- Offer excellent customer service while answering visitors inquires, delivering accurate directions to Museum facilities, theaters, Security, etc.
- Provide information about the Museum, its programs, exhibitions, show times, etc.
- Assists visitors with disabilities, giving appropriate information when requested (e.g., wheelchair locations- the 81st Street, Roosevelt Rotunda, and Garage, and the rules for borrowing wheelchairs for Museum use)
10-12:00pm │ 12-2:00pm│ 2-4:00pm
If interested in volunteering at the information desk, email [email protected] and complete the application linked above.